Life from the viewpoint of a young girl.

Warning: Topics vary a lot.

Desktop users: Use the tag cloud on the right for easy navigation.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Song of the Week 10/23/16

     I had a different song in mind for this week but I'll have to save it for the next. I found this song yesterday and I'm so obsessed with it that I've listened to it four times so far and I'm trying not to overlisten. I was listening to TobyMac nightcores (because it was his birthday and I wanted to celebrate) then I got off track and started listening to other Christian nightcores which led to this one. I'd never heard of it before but I knew of Jonathan Thulin so I thought I'd give it a try. It's called 'Masquerade'. I loved the deepness in it and it seemed to pull me in so I decided to listen to the original and ended up listening to that twice yesterday and another time this morning.
     I know all the lyrics by now (they were fairly easy to learn). They hold a lot of truth as they are convicting Christians who are too afraid to let their light shine because of the judgment of the world. The light is nothing to be ashamed of, but it can be hard to stand strong when we're scared. However, the Bible says "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (Ephesians 6:12) Besides, we're in God's hands, and God is so much stronger than the world. This song is a challenge to never hide the light of Jesus, and I grasped that meaning right away because of personal events. I love the way this concept is pulled off metaphorically, which is something I really enjoy doing in songwriting.
     I don't actually know what genre Jonathan Thulin generally releases, as I haven't listened to much of him yet (although I do know his brother is David Thulin, who is an EDM artist, so I'd expect something slightly electronic), and I don't even know what genre this song is. But nonetheless, the instrumental side of it is awesome. It has a nice rhythm, although the tempo is a little slow, but the rapid violin melody counters that and creates an atmosphere which makes you picture dancing in your mind. All that together with the awesome vocal fillers after the hook echo the lyrical concept very well.
     I love the descending rhythm of the vocals in the verses, which are contrasted later by the ascending vocals in the bridge. There is also a suspenseful feeling just after the bridge vocals which adds to the entire atmosphere as well. The chorus is actually repeated four times, but I'm fine with that because I love it. This whole track is pulled off pretty nicely when you break its elements down. Jonathan Thulin is not a very well known artist, but this track is amazing, so I'd definitely recommend checking it out and giving it some support if you like it.



Fan photography for this song; photo cred to me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment